Date: 16th October 2010 at 2:26pm
Written by:

Doncaster recorded their first win in five when they beat local rivals Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park.

Billy Sharp scored twice against his former club and James O`Connor scored a third as they came from behind to record a comfortable 3-1 win.

The home side had a few early efforts on goal but neither forced Sullivan into a save whilst Simon Gillett was first to try his luck for Rovers that also failed to trouble Murphy in the Scunthorpe goal.

Scunthorpe took the lead on eleven minutes when Eddie Nolan`s cross found the head of Martin Woolford who beat Sullivan from close range.

The same pair almost combined to double the lead soon afterwards but this time Woolford`s header went wide.

Rovers were having to rely on long-range efforts, Gillett again failing to trouble the Scunthorpe keeper.

Sharp forced Murphy into a good save when his header looked to be heading for the top corner of the net.

Billy Sharp equalised for Rovers just past the half hour when Oster played the former Scunthorpe man in and he chested the ball down before giving Murphy no chance.

Former Rovers loan player Jonathan Forte tried to reclaim the lead for the home side soon afterwards but his shot cleared the bar.

Rovers had a great chance to take the lead close to half time; a goalmouth scramble saw the ball eventually fall to Coppinger but his shot cleared the bar.

Scunthorpe had a great chance to take an early lead in the second half when Dagnell hit the cross bar when well placed.

Rovers took the lead just before the hour mark when Scunthorpe defender Rob Jones fouled Sharp to concede a penalty.

Sharp sent Murphy the wrong way to score his second of the afternoon.

The former Scunthorpe striker was causing the home side problems and a challenge from Jones stopped him getting a shot in.

Rovers were now in full control and Woods was the next to have a chance but his effort went over the bar.

James O`Connor made it 3-1 to Rovers on 72 minutes when he got his head on a James Coppinger cross and powered it past Murphy.
James Coppinger then saw his shot tipped around the post by Murphy as Rovers looked for a fourth.

Sharp almost completed his hat trick in the closing moments when his left foot shot went just wide of the post.

Mustapha Dumbuya came close to scoring his first goal for Rovers when his shot was well saved by Murphy.

Rovers were dealt a blow in injury time when James O`Connor was forced to leave the pitch with what looked like a hamstring injury, leaving them down to ten men for the closing moments.


Murphy, Jones, Byrne, Mirfin, Nolan, Togwell (O`Connor 73), Woolford, Wright, Collins (Grant 85), Dagnell, Forte (Thompson 67)

Subs not used
Slocombe, Raynes, McClenahan, Cowan Hall,

Sullivan, O`Connor, Friend (Hird 18), Lockwood, Dumbuya, M. Woods, Oster (Stock 84), Gillett (Wilson 88), Coppinger, Sharp, Hayter

Subs not used
G. Woods, Webster, Shiels, Brooker

Join Vital Donny
Join Vital Doncaster Rovers!

With news and views, along with a forum, polls and article comments, everything you need in a fans site is right here!

You can even win prizes, by posting articles comments, posting on the message forum and voting on the polls.

Vital is also 100% interactive. Not only can you have your say on the articles and the forum but you can also suggest an article or a poll so you can air your views.

So why not join Vital today?

It’s easy to register here and enjoy getting involved

Message Board

To visit the message board, click here.

Get involved

This website is your website and we are looking for people to help run the site. Do you go to most of the games and have an opinion? Why not write a match report? Perhaps you are a budding journalist or even just someone who is very opinionated? Well why not join our team? If this interests you please contact Vital Doncaster .

Bookmark and Share


2 Replies to “Sharp shoots down Scunny”

Comments are closed.