Date: 20th October 2009 at 9:48pm
Written by:

Doncaster Rovers made one change to the side that lost to Barnsley at the weekend.

James O`Connor came in to replace Gareth Roberts in defence.

Mark Wilson returned from injury and started on the bench alongside John Oster who had come back from suspension.

Rovers were under pressure for the opening fifteen minutes of the game but took the lead with their first real opportunity.

Lewis in the Peterborough goal could only parry Dean Shiels shot and Billy Sharp was there to pounce and fire the ball into the roof of the net.

Dean Shiels tried his look again soon afterwards from the edge of the area, this time his shot found the back of the net to double the Rovers lead.

Rovers were now enjoying the majority of possession and the confidence of a two goal lead was evident.

Gillett was having another good game in the Rovers midfield and he went close with an effort that went just wide of the post.

Peterborough got back into the game just past the half hour when McLean`s powerful header from a left wing cross gave Sullivan no chance I the Rovers goal.

Neither side could get a firm grip of the game after this, Rovers went in at half time with a slender 2-1 lead.

In a fairly even start to the second half Rovers had the best chance to extend their lead, but Lewis firstly made a save from Hayter and then Morgan blocked a Shiels shot from the rebound.

Rovers had a couple more chances to increase the lead when firstly Hayter had a shot blocked and Shiels went just wide with a good curling effort.

Rovers made a double substitution with fifteen minutes remaining with Oster and Guy replacing Coppinger and Hayter as they looked for a third goal to make the game safe.

In an end to end game, substitute Guy tested Lewis soon after coming on, at the other end Rowe`s shot went just wide of the post.

Rovers wrapped up the points with five minutes remaining when Jason Shackell rose to head home from a corner from Shiels.

Oster almost made it four but his shot flashed past the post.

Rovers secured their second win of the season and put a bit of daylight between them and the bottom three.


Doncaster Rovers
Sullivan, O`Connor, Hird, Shackell, Chambers, Coppinger (Oster 76), Gillett, Woods M, Hayter (Guy 76), Sharp (Spicer 86), Shiels

Woods G, Dumbuya, Heffernan, Wilson

Lewis, Whelpdale, Day, Morgan, Zakuani, Rowe (Frecklington 46), Diagouraga (Keates 46), Rose, Boyd (Lee 68), McLean, Mackail-Smith

McKeown, Martin, Pearce, Batt

Referee: Mr Colin Webster (Tyne & Wear)

Join Vital Doncaster Rovers!

With news and views, along with a forum, polls and article comments, everything you need in a fans site is right here!

You can even win prizes, by posting articles comments, posting on the message forum and voting on the polls.

Vital is also 100% interactive. Not only can you have your say on the articles and the forum but you can also suggest an article or a poll so you can air your views.

So why not join Vital today?

It’s easy to register here and enjoy getting involved

Message Board

To visit the message board, click here.

Get involved

This website is your website and we are looking for people to help run the site. Do you go to most of the games and have an opinion? Why not write a match report? Perhaps you are a budding journalist or even just someone who is very opinionated? Well why not join our team? If this interests you please contact Vital Doncaster .

Bookmark and Share


2 Replies to “Rovers bounce back”

Comments are closed.