Date: 14th January 2009 at 7:14am
Written by:

Doncaster and Cheltenham will have to meet again after a poor goalless draw at Whaddon Road.

This was the first game of 2009 for both sides and Rovers put out a full strength side against their league one opposition.

For an FA Cup third round tie with Premiership Aston Villa waiting for the victors it was a game of no great passion or endeavour as Cheltenham seemed happy to put ten men behind the ball whilst Rovers seemed unable to break down the Cheltenham defence.

The first real chance fell to Heffernan just past the quarter hour mark when Woods cross found him in plenty of space in front of goal; his poor header went over the bar.

Doncaster were controlling the match and Wellens was next to going close but his shot was well saved by Brown in the Cheltenham goal.

Sam Hird really should have put Rovers one up when he found himself in front of goal with only the keeper to beat but his weak effort went straight to the keeper, this was even worse for me as I`d backed him at 50/1 for the first goal.

Cheltenham finally broke free from their defensive duties close to half time and it took an excellent save from Sullivan to keep out a Bird`s header.

The second half continued in a very similar pattern with Rovers enjoying long periods of possession but only the occasional shot which was usually charged down by the Cheltenham defence.

Rovers felt that Cheltenham should have been reduced to ten men when Lindegaard dragged down Woods who was going through on goal, Lindegaard looked like he was the last man but referee Swarbrick only produced a yellow card to the disgust of the Rovers players and travelling fans.
The linesman was also doing his best to upset everyone involved with Rovers by continuously raising the flag for offside, on three or four occasions the Rovers players looked clearly onside. On two of these occasions Hird and Heffernan brought out fantastic saves from Brown.

Heffernan on another night could have quite easily have scored a hat trick and his luck was summed up when his left foot shot left the keeper rooted to the spot but the ball hit the inside of the post and rolled across the goal to safety.

Even though Rovers had enjoyed the bulk of the game Cheltenham should have taken the lead with five minutes remaining, Bird cut in from the right and his stinging shot was excellently saved by Sullivan but the rebound fell to Owusu in front of goal but he somehow managed to miss an open goal.

Both sides seemed happy to settle for a replay in the last five minutes and the clubs will now meet again at the Keepmoat next Tuesday to win the prize of a home tie against Aston Villa in round four.

Join Vital Doncaster
Join Vital Doncaster Rovers!

With news and views, along with a forum, polls and article comments, everything you need in a fans site is right here!

You can even win prizes, by posting articles comments, posting on the message forum and voting on the polls.

Vital is also 100% interactive. Not only can you have your say on the articles and the forum but you can also suggest an article or a poll so you can air your views.

So why not join Vital today?

It’s easy to register here and enjoy getting involved

Message Board

To visit the message board, click here.

Get involved

This website is your website and we are looking for people to help run the site. Do you go to most of the games and have an opinion? Why not write a match report? Perhaps you are a budding journalist or even just someone who is very opinionated? Well why not join our team? If this interests you please contact Vital Doncaster .