Date: 15th November 2008 at 9:03pm
Written by:

Doncaster entertained Ipswich Town on Saturday night in front of the Sky TV cameras hoping to bring to an end a run of twelve games without a win. They had also gone almost ten hours without a goal at home.

Rovers made three changes from the side beaten at Sheffield Wednesday last week, Paul Heffernan, James Chambers and Shelton Martis all came into the side.

Rovers had a good early chance but Hird screwed his effort back across the goal and Ipswich cleared their lines.

Ipswich were denied a penalty early on when O`Connor clearly hand balled a corner but the referee failed to notice the infringement.

Rovers then had a double escape half way through the half when from a corner Naylor hit the bar, as the ball dropped in the area Jason Price swung out an arm and punched the ball clear for what looked a certain penalty. Once again the referee Mr Friend failed to see it and he certainly wasn`t making many friends in the Ipswich end.

David Norris then had a couple of very good chances to give Ipswich the lead, especially the second when missing the target from six yards.

Rovers finally scored their first home goal for 10 hours and 41 minutes when on loan defender Shelton Martis got his head on the end of a Matt Mills flick to give the home side the lead.

The interval came to the delight of the Rovers fans in the ground, maybe the luck that`s deserted us all season was changing?

The second half took time to get going apart from a small altercation between Matt Mills and Alex Bruce which saw them both go in the referee`s notepad.

The half kicked into life around the hour mark when both Brian Stock and Richie Wellens tried their luck from distance without troubling the Ipswich keeper.

In the next five minutes both keepers pulled off world class saves, firstly Neil Sullivan in the Rovers goal turned over a great effort from Darren Ambrose. Then an even better save was made by Richard Wright at the other end after a Martin Woods shot was deflected.

It was into the final ten minutes before Ipswich sub Pablo Counago`s header just went wide of the post when in a good position.
Then another sub Jon Stead had a tremendous volley just clear the bar.

The referee managed to find four minutes of time but Rovers managed to see this out quite comfortably.

Rovers finally got their first victory since the end of August in what was probably one of our poorer performances of the season.
For once lady luck was on our side with the two hand balls that went unpunished but it`s about time we had that bit of luck.

The result doesn`t take us off the bottom but we are now back in the mix with the clubs above us and hopefully this result will see Rovers go on a decent run.

I still feel though to get out of the bottom three a centre forward is still desperately needed and hopefully someone will come in before next Saturday`s game at Burnley.

Join Vital Doncaster Rovers
Join Vital Doncaster Rovers!

With news and views, along with a forum, polls and article comments, everything you need in a fans site is right here!

You can even win prizes, by posting articles comments, posting on the message forum and voting on the polls.

Vital is also 100% interactive. Not only can you have your say on the articles and the forum but you can also suggest an article or a poll so you can air your views.

So why not join Vital today?

It’s easy to register here and enjoy getting involved

Message Board

To visit the message board, click here.

Get involved

This website is your website and we are looking for people to help run the site. Do you go to most of the games and have an opinion? Why not write a match report? Perhaps you are a budding journalist or even just someone who is very opinionated? Well why not join our team? If this interests you please contact Vital Doncaster .